Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: The Speaker Cable

  1. #61
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    It's actually 240 and 120 now.
    Older guy are used to saying it differently. Too late for me to change.

    BTW measured yout power? Bet it ain't 120...:snickerpup:
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #62
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Shielded power cables. Don't laugh.

    I know several hard core, no B.S. measurement guys who use them and like them. Why?
    Because the power cords generally dangle down the back of the rack beside or very near the patch cords and other cables.

    It's not about keeping noise out of the power cable, it's about keep it in.
    They aren't very expensive, either.

    FWIW, I keep a volt meter on my power all the time. It seems to run at 120 more often than not. Just lucky, I suppose!

  3. #63
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Shielded power cables. Don't laugh.!
    I can see your position. But no they are not necessary. If you want to use them by choice, as I have posted repeatedly, fine. But don't tell me they are necessary.

    I have zero issues without them.

    The post I laughed at didn't suggest using them. It was a flat statement you NEED to.

    A lot of difference.

    To repeat...use what you want, post your opinion as such all day long. Don't post facts unless they are facts. And the fact is you don't NEED shielded power cables.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #64
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Older guy are used to saying it differently. Too late for me to change.
    You aren't THAT old........ you learned to use a computer and post to various audio forums! Actually it took me awhile to stop saying 110.

    BTW measured your power? Bet it ain't 120...:snickerpup:

    It fluctuates over time apparently. In the past I've measured it to be about 117/118. I just measured it now, and I get 122.6.

    I already had the meter close by, since I had used it to provide the DCR for a speaker going on Ebay.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #65
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    But don't tell me they are necessary.
    Was someone telling you that? Sorry, I missed that part.

    Shootz, I don't need ANY power cables when I run my rig off batteries.

  6. #66
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Was someone telling you that? Sorry, I missed that part.

    Shootz, I don't need ANY power cables when I run my rig off batteries.
    We don't need no stinkin' power cables...

    Jeez I can't even rmember what movie that was...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #67
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    You aren't THAT old........


    It fluctuates over time apparently. In the past I've measured it to be about 117/118. I just measured it now, and I get 122.6.

    Ain't that old? I often call capacitors condensers...and occasionally still say cycles per second..:doh:


    I think there were a lot of AC standards originally, I've seen 110, 115, 117, and 120.

    Speaking of old...any of the old ones here ever seen a 117N7? I think, if I remember right, it was a 117 volt heater version of the 6SN7...so you didn't need a power transformer...the plate voltage was just the AC line rectified....try sliding THAT by the regulators now.

    Electronics 27
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #68
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Jeez I can't even rmember what movie that was...
    Mel brook's 1974 classic comedy, Blazing Saddles, darned funny stuff.

    Speaking of old...any of the old ones here ever seen a 117N7? I think, if I remember right, it was a 117 volt heater version of the 6SN7...so you didn't need a power transformer...the plate voltage was just the AC line rectified....
    I've got some 50L6's, add 6 volt driver and 6 volt phase splitter in series to a pair of those for a nice 110-115 volt transformerless heater loop. I have no idea what used em, but i'll bet it was a "hot" chassis.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #69
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Ain't that old? I often call capacitors condensers...and occasionally still say cycles per second..:doh:
    I would only use condenser in a points ignition........ but I'd get rid of the points ignition if I had my way. (69 Buick in not so good shape anymore)

    I like cps better than hertz.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #70
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I've got some 50L6's, add 6 volt driver and 6 volt phase splitter in series to a pair of those for a nice 110-115 volt transformerless heater loop. I have no idea what used em, but i'll bet it was a "hot" chassis.

    El Cheapo house radios. I used to fix them.

    50L6, 35Z5 rectifier, and 3 12 volt tubes added up to 110 in a series heater circuit.

    AA5 radio tube Set 50L6 35Z5 12SA7 12SQ7 12SK7 - eBay (item 230431658409 end time Mar-02-10 16:34:40 PST)

    Later replaced with miniatures, 50C5, 35W4 et al.

    The 117N7 was primarily record players but have seen them in radios too.

    Stuff people tossed was good income for a teenager. I used to ride my bike up and down the alleys looking for TV's and stuff people set out..I could make 25 bucks for fixing a TV, other kids worked a whole week for that kind of dough..bear in mind you could still find a running car for 50 bucks at the time. Sorta the early 60's version of Silicon Valley...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.